‘Miami, FL’ Headline Archives
Local Businesses Band Together to Encourage the Community to Visit Wynwood this Saturday, August 13, 2016
If there has ever been a time to attend Wynwood Art Walk it is this Saturday, August 13, 2016, when nearly all of the more than 300 businesses that make up the fabric of the neighborhood will band together to encourage the public to visit Wynwood for the iconic monthly art event. From foodies, to art enthusiasts and avid shoppers, businesses will be offering a promotion for everyone!
“Wynwood is one of Miami’s most unique and beloved neighborhoods, and welcomes all to visit this Saturday for Art Walk,” said City of Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado, who will himself be in attendance at the Art Walk.
Starting at 6:00 pm and extending throughout the night, the monthly event, which takes place the second Saturday of every month, will feature openings at art galleries, restaurants and retail businesses.
“The Wynwood Business Improvement District (BID) has worked diligently with businesses, the Miami Parking Authority and the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau to make this Art Walk like none other,” said Albert Garcia, Vice Chair of the Wynwood BID. “The Wynwood community is resilient and we want the public to know that they are welcome to the neighborhood they know and love as the center for art, culture and retail.”
Among the special promotions patrons of Wynwood Art Walk can look forward to this Saturday are:
- FREE Parking: The Miami Parking Authority is offering free PayByPhone metered parking for all day Saturday in Wynwood.
- Love for Locals: Special deals will be offered at Art Walk Second Saturday and extend into Sunday as restaurants, bars, and shops give a special thanks to patrons through the “Love for Locals” campaign. Some of the many participating businesses include:
-Wynwood Diner– anyone who presents a receipt from a Wynwood business (retail, bar, etc.) will automatically receive 20 percent off their bill.
-J. Wakefield Brewing – Customers will receive a 20% discount
-MiMo Market – Will offer patrons a 10% discount
-Coyo Taco- ½ priced margaritas for those present with a local ID
-Panther Coffee-buy one beer, wine or single-origin brewed coffee and get the other ½ off
-Zak the Baker-enjoy a coffee on the house with any purchase
-Salty Donut-50% Spiked Donut Holes
-Rupees Sarees – 20% off any home décor and clothing items
-Wynwood Kitchen and Bar- Customers will receive a complimentary appetizer/ dessert
-Shots Miami – Customers will get 20% off their tab
- GMCVB Wynwood Website: A special marketing partnership has been formed between the Wynwood BID and the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau (GMCVB). This partnership includes a new webpage dedicated entirely to Wynwood businesses and their promotions. That website, http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/special-offers/wynwood-offers, will serve as a resource for Art Walk attendees and all of the public regarding deals and promotions in the Wynwood area.
“Wynwood is one of Miami’s most unique artistic and cultural neighborhoods. We are happy to partner with the BID and local businesses to help promote the area and invite people to see all the wonderful things it has to offer,” said William D. Talbert III, CDME, President and CEO, Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau
The Wynwood BID is a municipal board of the City of Miami representing more than 400 property owners that comprise the 50-city-block Wynwood Arts District. Run by a Board of Directors who themselves are property owners from the community, the BID works to enhance security and sanitation services in the neighborhood, advocate for the betterment of the area, raise awareness of advancements being made, and plan for the future of Wynwood.
The Miami-Dade County Public-Private Sector Meeting was held online on Monday, August 8th from 8:30 – 9:30 am.
- Explore the Meeting Agenda
- Review the presentation from Steve Detwiler
- Check out the SBDC Disaster App (“Bizaster”) with Brian Van Hook
- Learn about a new Business Continuity Information Network with Steve Luis
You can find the Miami-Dade County Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Bulletin for July 2016 here.
You can find the Miami-Dade County Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Bulletin for June 2016 here.
The SBDC at Florida International University (FIU), in partnership with USAID and FIU’s Extreme Events Institute, has developed a disaster-preparedness mobile app that allows business owners to better prepare their companies for disasters and to jump start operations post-event. The app includes customizable checklists, disaster simulations and assessments to help entrepreneurs identify risks to their business.
Other features include:
- Free and available in both English and Spanish.
- Customizable assessments to determine all risks to the business, along with ways to mitigate these risks
- Table-top exercises to simulate a disaster and test the ability of a business to respond.
- Disaster checklists on insurance, business operations, emergency response, and developing supply kits.
- Step-by-step assistance with developing a business continuity plan and emergency response plan.
- Templates for employee emergency contact sheets, credentialing letters, and post-disaster decision making charts.
- Helpful checklists on avoiding contractor fraud, utilizing social media post-disaster, and tips on crisis communications.
- Additional resources on cyber security information.
- Monitor and save progress in completing each requirement in the different phases of “Prepare,” “Respond” and “Recover”
Below are the links to download the app from both the iOS and Google Play Stores.
Apple App Store:
There are also two demo videos (in English and Spanish) on YouTube:
Explore these tools and resources to help businesses plan, prepare, and protect from an attack: Hometown Security Fact Sheet
Learn more about the Broward County, Florida 2016 Hurricane Expo at the Museum of Discovery and Science on June 4th by clicking on this flyer.
You can find the Miami-Dade County Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Bulletin for April 2016 here.
You can find the Miami-Dade County Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Bulletin for March 2016 here.
For the first time, the LMS Quarterly Meeting was held as a webinar. There were 57 attendees, representing 43 agencies, and a majority of attendees expressed interest in holding future meetings via webinar. Slides from the webinar can be found here.
You can find the Miami-Dade County Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Bulletin for October 2015 here.
The next meeting of the LMS Task Force will be on December 9th and will be held at the Doral MDFR HQ Training Auditorium.